Re: `du' control files

Scott Ellis wrote:

> They are created by the debhelper program dh_du.  They're useful for
> figuring out how much space on each of your filesystems a package is
> taking up, especially useful if one filesystem is getting cramped.  Like
> the md5sums file, I wouldn't judge their presence either way.

Wouldn't it be better to compute this on-site?  It is not like md5sums
where you are comparing the installed files against the distributed
ones.  And a local calculation could be more accurate, because the
package du's count common directories (such as /usr) over and over.
Also, getting rid of the du files will free up some space on your
cramped /var filesystem :-)

Richard Braakman