Re: Proposal

On Mon, Nov 16, 1998 at 07:55:58PM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:

> Also I wanted to make a small ammendment to the current proposal i have
> clarifying something (please be sure you read that before taking this out
> of context):
>
> If a package depends on one or more restricted package it must also be
> considered restricted (not in and of itself, but by association) and must
> inherit all of the restrictions for any restricted package that it depends
> on. For example:
>
> my-package.deb (isn't restricted)
> Depends: libRU, libAU
>
> libAU can't be distributed in RU, and libRU can't be distributed in AU. So
> if an AU mirror dowloads the dist it should not get libRU nor
> my-package.deb (since it isnt usable without libRU). This inheritance
> would make sure this scenario works correctly.

I am not sure I like this. This actually makes it harder for people to get
the software, not easier. Wouldn't it be better to let the front-end handle
such cases? It could inform the user that he needs this and that lib that is
restricted here and there. If the user sees the possibility, he could point
apt to more sources (for example, if the package is not import restricted,
only export restricted), and the dependencies are fulfilled.

Thank you,
Marcus