Re: DRAFT: Fixing the architecture query options of dpkg.

On Fri, Jan 08, 1999 at 03:32:37PM +0000, Jules Bean wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Jan 1999, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>

> > So, dpkg-buildpackage would call "make debian/whatever" with following
> > environments:
>
> Minor glitch - currently, policy doesn't mandate that debian/rules be a
> make script (and this is probably a good thing).  So, dpkg-buildpackage
> should simply execute debian/rules.

Ah, I see. Well, but policy could specify that debian/rules, whatever it is,
accepts options DEB_TARGET_ARCH=whatever and so on, or reads the environment
variables. My proposal should still work, it would just be a bit more work
for thise non-standard debian/rules files, which I don't know of.

Now that you say that... I am scared by the idea of non-make debian/rules
scripts, really.

> My gut instincts tell me that encouraging people to use dpkg-buildpackage
> is *good* since this means we can incorporate future ideas like this one
> directly there.   We should simply make dpkg-buildpackage more flexible
> (so that, for example, in the event you don't want a whole build, you can
> specify a target - if we don't already have this functionality).

Agreed.

Marcus