Re: Commercial .debs

On Fri, Jan 08, 1999 at 01:24:03PM +0000, Jules Bean wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Jan 1999, Bill Mitchell wrote:
>

> > There are at least two possible ways in which commercial organizations
> > might release .debs:  (1) via non-free on the debian distribution sites,
> > and (2) by putting the .debs on their commercial CDs and/or their own
> > web sites.  Obviously, the debian project can exercise some control over
> > the former, but would have no direct control over the latter.

[snip]

          dpkg-buildpackage -b -rfakeroot -uc

I'd just like to stress that no key is _required_ in the second case.  Alot
of commercial places just can't pick someone to have a PGP key.

Do companies provide authentication checking on stuff that can be downloaded
- are there standards that we could possible allow in addition to PGP (or
maybe we shouldn't go out of our way for commercial software at all?)

Some sort of guidance would be useful (particularly regarding the "some bits
of this library are still GPL" statement in /usr/doc/libc5/copyright - this
worries me).

Cheers

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@zetnet.co.uk, http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett
Windows NT - Unix in beta-testing.   PGP key available on public key servers
Avoid tiresome goat sacrifices  -=-  use Debian Linux http://www.debian.org