Re: Are /cdrom and /floppy really forbidden by policy?

On Mon, Apr 12, 1999 at 02:04:41PM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:
> I have received a bug report saying that the /cdrom and /floppy
> directories violate FSSTND (and FHS, I guess).
>
> For historical and convenience reasons, I'm in doubt about removing them
> from base-files. Is it really a good idea?
>
> Opinions?

I generally prefer not to have /floppy and /cdrom personally.  I place
these under /mnt/floppy, /mnt/cdrom, /mnt/zip, etc.  It seems to me that
/mnt is more appropiate for random mountpoints not part of the regular
filesystem than is /..  Just my opinion of course.

<Chalky> gcc is the best compressor ever ported to linux. it can turn
         12MB of kernel source (and that's .debbed) into a 500k kernel