Re: [PROPOSAL] Patented software == non-free?

On Mon, May 10, 1999 at 02:28:57PM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> > 2.1.4. The non-free section
> > ---------------------------
> >
> >       `Non-free' contains packages which are not compliant with the DFSG
> >       or which are encumbered by legal issues which render the software's
> >       distribution problematic.
>
> Unfortunatly this change really makes no difference. Being patented _is_
> being "encumbered by legal issues". You've just removed an example of a
> general case, anyone reading the above proposed text can conclude that it
> applies to patents.

I see your point.

> It's a good idea, but you need to fig your language to say what you meant.
> Perhaps:
>
>   2.1.4. The non-free section
>          Non-free' contains packages which are not compliant with the DFSG.
>
> Or perhaps adding to that "or which are encumbered by legal issues which
> render the software's distribution problematic, but are not patents."

I thought about the "...but aren't patents" idea and didn't like how the
result looked/felt.  I think your suggestion is probably the best way to
do this, so if anybody who has seconded the proposal does not object,
consider the proposal altered.

<zpx> it's amazing how "not-broken" debian is compared to slack and rh