Re: More FHS discussion (Was: Uploaded debhelper 2.0.09 (source all) to master)

On Wed, Jul 07, 1999 at 10:33:10AM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> Joseph Carter wrote:
> > In the case of /usr/share/man, we have already a sane transition.  It's
> > already in use by a number of packages.
>
> What is it? I'd love to make debhelper start using that directory by
> default. (And BTW, is /usr/share/X11R6/man supposed to be used for X man
> pages?)

No, /usr/X11R6/man should remain /usr/X11R6/man---it's part of the whole
/usr/X11R6-is-left-alone-for-now-at-least-even-though-we-don't-like-it
thing.  Just /usr/man moves.  Have a look at /etc/manpath.config for what
the paths are.

Hmm, that should be /usr/local/share/man I think, which probably could be
filed as a bug.

> > If someone goes through the trouble of testing all of that and can show
> > that dpkg does the right thing I think we should have base-files move the
> > directory and create symlinks right away.
>
> I'm sure it'll break. Call me pessimistic. I don't think the
> /usr/doc/<package> -> /usr/share/doc/<package> compatability linkfarm is too
> bad for a transition strategy.

The problem with the symlink farm is when do we get rid of them?  And how?
I think I suggested at some point a quick test for something like
register-dochack that makes the /usr/doc symlink if it's there and removes
it on package purge...

At some point in the future when it becomes feasable to do so, all of the
symlinks in /usr/doc pointing to /usr/share/doc would be simply removed.
Pretty much that should be done by the first version of whatever package
would provide the dochack thing that no longer does.  =>

Does this make sense?  (Better yet, does it make a few dollars?)  Would
debianutils be the best package for this or is there a better one?

<zarkov> "NT 5.0.  All the bugs and ten times the code size!"