Re: Debian conflicts with FHS on /usr/include/{linux,asm}

Theodore Y. Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu> wrote:
> ... Since building kernel modules require that header files match
> exactly (think /usr/include/linux/modversions.h), that means that I
> would have to tell naive, non-developer users that they first have to:
>
>       1)  download kernel sources from ftp.kernel.org,
>       2)  configure a kernel to match their hardware configuration,
>       3)  build their own kernel
>       4)  install their own kernel, and only then can they
>       5)  build my device driver
>
> I hope people can understand why this would be a complete non-starter
> for a certain class of users, and why I might refuse to support my a
> kernel module on any distribution that made such a user-hostile design
> decision....

But for the general case, that's exactly what you have to do.

Even naive users can download a new kernel version and try building it.
At which point...

[But, hey, for only another 600k (significantly less if comments are
stripped) you could put the compressed include files in the kernel
itself... </joke>]

--
Raul