Re: Policy about policy

Hi,
>>"Raul" == Raul Miller <moth@debian.org> writes:

 Raul> Here's my (informal) reading of the constitution:

 Raul> (1) the developers who maintain debian-policy have complete control
 Raul> over what goes into the debian-policy package -- except where that would
 Raul> conflict with what other developers are doing.

        Since any change in policy documents would affect other
 packages, this means that no change can really be made to the policy
 document that differs from current policy, or contravenes what any
 package out there is doing, if no policy already governs the action.

        In other words, the -policy group has not power to really make policy.

 Raul> (2) developers, as a group, can set non-technical policy by
 Raul>     voting.

        This is not relevant really, since the policy document
 documents technical policy for the most part.

 Raul> (3) the technical committee can set technical policy, but are only
 Raul> supposed to take action where there's a conflict between developers.

        So far, only individual developers can create policy, and call
 in on the tech committee to adjudicate if any differences exist. Once they
 establish a policy (if there is no contention), or if the committee rules,
 policy is created.

        Once created, nothing I see here allows policy to be changed.

 Raul> (4) developers, as a group, can override the technical committee by
 Raul> voting.

        Again, Irrelevant.

 Raul> Now, looking at chapter 1.1 of the policy document in
 Raul> /usr/doc/debian-policy/, it's pretty clear that the document
 Raul> describes technical policy (and that details are in the
 Raul> packaging manual and ought to be in the systems administrators
 Raul> manual).  That means to me that the proposal document ought to
 Raul> be talking about

        Nope. The proposal document is a non-policy informal document
 that describes how changes have been made to the technical policy in
 recent past.

        It is not in its final form, as we refine the process as we
 gain experience.

        Now, you are contending that the policy group does not have
 the power to create policy as it has been doing, under the
 constitution. That may well be the case (which is FUBAR, but that is
 another story).

        If you wish the -policy group to perform as you detail below,
 I think nothing would ever get done. We have trouble enough getting
 things to happen as the current point, but going through the steps
 below effectively means (IMHO) that the current policy document is
 set in stone.

 Raul> (a) documenting existing practice, and
 Raul> (b) getting approval from relevant package developers, and
 Raul> (c) getting the technical committee to approve (or disapprove) a
 Raul> completed proposal, and
 Raul> (d) getting the developers as a whole to overturn a technical committee
 Raul> decision.

 Raul> Personally, I'd hate to rewrite the proposal document without any
 Raul> input from the policy maintainers,

        Please create your own, separate document, and see if the
 policy group accepts to work in that fashion. We can drop the old
 proposal then.

 Raul> and likewise, I'd hate to propose a constitutional change to
 Raul> match the current proposal document without even more input
 Raul> [enough to see that most developers are unhappy with the idea
 Raul> that technical decisions are better made by individuals than by
 Raul> large groups].  But near as I can see, either the proposal
 Raul> document needs to change or the constitution does.

        Essentially, the question comes down to this: is a set of
 developers (the membership of the set being purely voluntary)
 empowered to create technical policy for the project, even if it
 affects packages in the project? Do you need to get all the
 developers of the package affected to buy into the policy change? If
 not, do we need to call in the tech committee all the time (you will,
 since no one can please all the people all the time).

        Before you answer, ask yourself: is this lumbering, red tape
 strewn process actually good for the project? Can the DPL delegate
 power to this group to make policy changes that do affect other
 packages?

        I would agree that we may need to make sure that any change
 proposed that affect all (or a large fraction of packages) must
 provide for a period of transition, such that not all packages are
 made immediately buggy.

        But I think that the proposed methodology is too bureaucratic
 to actually work.

        manoj
--
 Showing up is 80% of life. Woody Allen