Re: starting/stopping daemons in package scripts

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999, Joey Hess wrote:

> Remco Blaakmeer wrote:
> >
> > s/reload in the postinst/restart in the postinst/
>
> If you maintain a package, you _wrote_ the init script. You know if it
> supports reload, and if so, you use it. Otherwise, you know it supports
> restart and you use that.

Sure. But my point was this: if you use reload in the postinst, the _old_
version of the daemon keeps running, thus defeating the purpose of an
upgrade. Therefore, it's better to use restart.

Remco
--
rd1936: 11:35am  up 4 days, 15:24,  7 users,  load average: 2.04, 1.98, 1.88