Re: weekly policy summary - Data section (#38902)

On Sat, Sep 25, 1999 at 02:03:48PM -0400, Bob Hilliard wrote:

> > Data section (#38902)
> >   * Consensus.
> >   * Proposed on 3 Jun 1999 by Darren O. Benham; seconded by Peter S
> >     Galbraith and Peter Makholm.
> >   * "Since there is interest in packaging census data, maps, genome
> >     data and other huge datasets I and since most people agreed that
> >     dropping them in main or contrib is not a great idea, I propose
> >     the creation of a data section to reside along side of main,
> >     contrib and non-free." Includes rules about what goes in this
> >     section.
>

>      The original proposal included rules about what goes in this
> section, but there was considerable discussion about the proposal,
> including the rules.  Before this is included in policy, I believe the
> proposer should restate the proposal, including the rules, that were
> subject to the consensus.
>
> Bob
>    _
>   |_)  _  |_       Robert D. Hilliard    <hilliard@flinet.com>
>   |_) (_) |_)      Palm City, FL  USA    PGP Key ID: A8E40EB9

data acted more like a subsection (like subsection) of main regards to
its content and more like a lesser priority than optional and extra
(I don't remember which one is "inferior" than the other) regards
to the dependencies. Also, they're no real other rules about the
content of data: it's everything that the maintainer feels it should
not be part of main (because it's too big or simply not relevant
enough to be part of the main distribution) but can be useful to be
part of a greater or more general (Debian Extra or whatever)
distribution. For sure, just as always, ftp-maintainers have the right
to override the files.

What I think is needed, is an added clause to 2.1.2 The main section
and a new 2.1.3 The data section explaining that everything that fail
this particular clause should go there. Sorry, but I don't have
more clue about this.

Something to think about also is if you kept the same subsectionning
for data? I feel <well, my 6th sense work pretty hard those days ;)>
that the sections will not be fill the same as in main. Particular,
needs for science and themes sections will grow, as well a separate doc
section apart of text. Maybe can we even be more specific and go for
biology and astronomy sections?

Please, remember the purpose of the data section when discussing this
issue: to make main more easy to manage without forbidding upload
of one type or another of packages.

Citing 2.1 Package copyright and section

        "We want to make as much software available as we can."

The gaps between software and data is always fuzzy. And having
a special place to put more documentation/data/examples/tutorials/etc
will really help make debian more easy to maintain and distribute.

Fabien Ninoles        Chevalier servant de la Dame Catherine des Rosiers
aka Corbeau aka le Veneur Gris               Debian GNU/Linux maintainer
E-mail:                                                    fab@tzone.org
WebPage:                                    http://www.tzone.org/~fabien
RSA PGP KEY [E3723845]: 1C C1 4F A6 EE E5 4D 99  4F 80 2D 2D 1F 85 C1 70