Re: [PROPOSAL] require unversioned -dev packages (was Re: librar

On 29-Sep-99 Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 11:05:50AM +0100, Edward Betts wrote:
>> Michael Alan Dorman <mdorman@debian.org> wrote:
>> > I really think it's a bad idea to have versioned -dev packages.  Have
>> > we really had instances where they have given us any real advantage?
>> libgtk1.0-dev and libgtk1.2-dev are not source compatible.
>
> So? How did the versioning help?

I can still compile a gtk1.0 based package in Debian.  This is handy of the
upstream has not taken the time to move forward.

In other cases, new libraries are vastly different, think qt and qt2.

Like any other versioning, the developer needs to be aware of his actions.  All
the bugs I have seen from versioning come about because the developer just
recompiles a package without checking it.