Picking apart the packaging manual (long)

Hi,

        I went through the packaging manual, and these are the parts I
 think belong in policy (I had the full text for these sections in
 this message, but I was afraid it would pass the max message size
 limit). I am also ambivalent about sections like 4.1 "Syntax of
 control files". That section could be said to belong in policy, as
 dictating the standard format of control files, and any change may
 affect every package there is, on the other hand, this is merely
 needed to ensure the correct working of dpkg and friends, and not a
 policy issue.

	I am tending to lean towards the latter, andt thus have
 included 7.2, Notes about writing descriptions, but not 7.0 or 7.1,
 which are more syntax.

2.4 Time Stamps
3.2.1. `debian/rules' - the main building script  *** This may need review
3.2.2. `debian/control'                           ??? mandatory parts in policy?
3.2.5. `debian/files'                             partial, should not
                                                  exist in shipped package
3.4.1. Restrictions on objects in source packages
                                                 The source package
                                                 may not contain any
                                                 hard links, device
                                                 special files,
                                                 sockets or setuid or
                                                 setgid files.

4.2.1. `Package'                                 acceptable characters
                                                 in names
4.2.13. `Standards-Version'
4.2.14. `Distribution'
5. Version numbering
5.1. Version numbers based on dates
6. Package maintainer scripts and installation procedure
6.1. Introduction to package maintainer scripts
6.2. Summary of ways maintainer scripts are called
6.3. Details of unpack phase of installation or upgrade
6.4. Details of configuration
6.5. Details of removal and/or configuration purging
7.2. Notes about writing descriptions
8.2. Binary Dependencies - `Depends', `Recommends', `Suggests',
     `Pre-Depends'
8.3. Alternative binary packages - `Conflicts' and `Replaces'
8.4. Virtual packages - `Provides'
8.5. `Replaces' - overwriting files and replacing packages
8.5.1. Overwriting files in other packages
8.5.2. Replacing whole packages, forcing their removal
8.7. Relationships between source and binary packages - `Build-Depends',
    `Build-Depends-Indep', `Build-Conflicts', `Build-Conflicts-Indep'
12. Shared libraries

	Comments? If this is roughly acceptable, I'll create a new
 document and present it for review.

	manoj
--
 An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he
 knows absolutely everything about nothing.