Use $DEB_BUILD_DIR rather than parent directory?

I recently filed this wishlist bug
(http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=77153&repeatmerged=yes)
against dpkg-dev, and Wichert told me to take it up with policy,
so here i am.

I think it would be nice if the package-building tools would
place files in $DEB_BUILD_DIR if it is set. If it isn't, they
will continue their current behavior of dropping them in the
parent directory.

I know nothing about the internals of these programs, but it
seems like a fairly simple change. I would be willing to
volunteer some time for this, if necessary.

--
Eric Gillespie, Jr. <*> epg@progeny.com
Software Developer