Re: cleaning up our task packages

On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 12:45:13AM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:

> > Which doesn't include some very important tasks (task-web-server
> > and task-programming come to mind), but is a large improvment from
> > what we have now. And almost even fits on one screen.
> >

> Maybe we need a way to define subtasks so we get output like:
>
>  [ ] LDAP			: LDAP libraries, server and clients
>      [ ] LDAP Devel		: LDAP Development libraries
>      [ ] LDAP Server		: LDAP Server
>      [ ] LDAP Tools		: LDAP Utilities
>      [ ] LDAP Name Service	: LDAP NSS and PAM for Name Service
>
> Makes much more sense. Tasksel could unfold only when asked to do so, like
> when a user is really interested in the tasks specifics, or they want only
> certian portions of a task.
>
> Of course, this requires the tasksel author agreeing to implement
> something like this :)

i find this to be a neat way of organizing it, however, it can get unwieldy.
i suppose we should divide the different sections into different screens,
like the kernel does now.

i.e. you have a screen for programming, with C++ in it. they select C++, and
all the different compilers pop up in the manner described above with LDAP.
if necessary, we could make yet another sub-screen, again in the same manner
the kernel does.

if it'd been this way, then maybe i'd actually *use* the install program to
customize my system, instead of just installing the bare bones initially,
add a bunch of others via apt-get, and replace, say, ae with joe.

another added bonus here is, we can show the user a more descriptive
information on what each and every package does. ... now that i think about
it, this sounds like dselect, only less messy.

--
-m

When you are having a bad day, and it seems like everybody is trying to piss
you off, remember that it takes 42 muscles to produce a frown, but only 4
muscles to work the trigger of a good sniper rifle.