Re: [PROPOSAL] don't upload to "stable unstable" (was Re: BAHH. Retraction.)

On Thu, Dec 28, 2000 at 10:40:41AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >>"Ben" == Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> writes:
>
>  Ben> PROPOSAL:
>
>  Ben> With the integration of the "testing" distribution, we will not (in my
>  Ben> understanding) ever upload to frozen. Our uploads will generally go to
>  Ben> unstable, and propogate to "testing" based on some rules (bugs, time,
>  Ben> etc..).
>
> 	Could you please explain why testing shan't be frozen to allow
>  for QA and an extended pre-release test process? If I understand it,
>  packages are automatically moved from unstable to testing based on
>  some static, automated rules -- and satic, automated processes do not
>  catch all problems (if they did, we would not need debuggers).
>
> 	I still envisage the need for a frozen distribution --
>  something that is not a moving target, and something that can be put
>  through its paces
>
>         The only difference I see is that we shall not wait endlessly
>  for RC bugs to be resolved

My understanding is that the RM will decide when testing is "frozen".
Meaning that it is frozen from automatic updates from unstable, and
selectively updated. This doesn't mean we will have uploads to "frozen",
since they will still go to unstable.