Re: RFC: default encoding of documentation and debian control files

On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 12:54:13PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> Radovan Garabik <garabik@melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk> wrote:
> >
> >3.3 Default charset of control files
>
> [...]
>
> >*Addition to 13.5 Preferred documentation formats:
> >
> >HTML documents, if in encoding other than us-ascii, must
> >have in their header an appropriate META tag describing the used encoding.

I would leave this "must" since having html documents without defined charset
is IMHO a big flaw (and makes major headache when reading those documents)

> ... use "should" rather than "must". debian/changelog's character set
> seems like a sensible thing to make RC, though. What will tools like

I myself hesitated about whether use "must" or "should"...
IMHO documentation should be consistent, so when we require debian/changelog
to be in UTF8, we should require also debian/copyright,
debian/README.debian etc...

And, if the possible future goal is to have everything in utf-8,
we should start sometime.

> dpkg-parsechangelog and apt-listchanges make of a UTF-8 Debian
> changelog?

I added some entries in utf8 to my package, tried dch -i, added some
more entries, built the package, then did apt-listchanges on the package
(with pager output, unicode console), everything went smoothly... (I
know this is not an exhauting test, but I do not expect problems (since
these tools should be 8-bit clean and there are already packages with
other 8-bit encodings scattered around)