Re: Question regarding policy (11.2)

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 01:21:45AM -0700, Ivan E. Moore II wrote:
>     Policy reads:
>
>     "All libraries must have a shared version in the lib* package and a
>     static version in the lib*-dev package"

I'd just like to note that I've changed this text (and most of the other
stuff about libraries) in Policy 3.5.9. I've altered the wording so that the
explicit use of "must" is eliminated, and the meaning has been changed very
subtly to allow for the possibility that the "In general, " part of an
equivalent paragraph to the above one had precedence over those "must",
which could just have been added in the mass-conversion.

To be more precise, policy now says "The run-time shared library needs to
be placed in a package called librarynamesoversion, ..." and "The static
library (libraryname.a) is usually provided in addition to the shared
version. It is placed into the development package...".

I would appreciate if people would take a look at the rewritten chapter 9
"Shared libraries" and related section 11.2 "Libraries", and yell if they
notice anything that is extra, missing, or should be changed.

Note that I'm not asking for any consensus on the current strategy towards
static libraries :)

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.