Re: Modernising menu manual icons requirement

On Wed, 14 May 2003 11:17:32 -0700
Chris Waters <xtifr@debian.org> wrote:
> > "Choose the best one" implies having multiple icons of different
> > sizes, right?
>
> Um, no, if there's only one, then that's obviously the best one.  :)

That's a given. But if they want their icons to be reasonably displayed
in all WMs, they'd need to include multiple ones.

> > Given how trivial it would be to add a scaled pixmap cache for a
> > given menu method and have said method point the generated menu
> > entry to the scaled and cached pixmap, I still think that would be a
> > better solution.
>
> It requires new code, which my approach doesn't, it adds more
> complexity to the system, and is one more thing to go wrong, it will
> slow update-menus even more (which can already be extremely slow if
> you have many packages and many window managers installed), and,
> having looked at the menu code, I'm not sure any modifications there
> can truly be described as "trivial".  Aside from that, I suppose you
> could call it better.... :)
>
> Tell you what - if you promise to have your approach implemented and
> ready to test by next week, then I'll throw my support behind you.
> But otherwise, I think we should at least discuss the idea of adding a
> few new standardized variable names.  It's a dead-simple solution, and
> it's a very flexible solution.  And, as Bill points out, we already
> have a couple (that admittedly aren't used much, but that's mostly
> because the existing ones aren't very useful, IMO).

Yes, it's simple, but would it get used? Would maintainers really
provide six different icons? Would we even WANT them to? :)

You misunderstand though. It doesn't need to be done in menu itself. In
fact, such wouldn't make sense because different menu systems need
different icon sizes. Not only that, but it would be entirely
superfluous for menu to do it since the menuing system may be able to
scale things itself :)

The menu-method itself would manage it.