Re: Can debian/rules build target use precompiled object code in favor of building from source?

Thue Janus Kristensen <thuejk@gmail.com> writes:

> From a security and correctness perspective, it seems vital to me to
> compile from source instead of importing binary code. It is the only
> practical way to know that the source code matches the compiled code.

And many people in Debian agree with you.  I'm one of them.  However, you
were specifically asking if there is a policy in Debian that *requires*
this.  The answer is that there currently is not in cases of generated
source code such as your example, but there are many people in Debian who
agree that we should be moving in that direction, and who are pushing for
changes in our normal packaging processes in that direction.