Assumptions about population

Hello,

are there any existing assumptions about the population of Debian users. How many do we have?

I'm aware that this can never be exact; more far away from that. But for example the Debian update servers can give a hint about it no matter that they don't store IPs. Debian is so old I assume there where others before me with the same questions. Maybe someone did an assumption about the real population of Debian users and presented a method. There are a lot of very different types of users (servers, desktop, PIs, ...); I know. I ask for an assumption not for a hard value.

For example "backintime".
The "backintime-common" package has n=946 (0.47%) installations.
What is 100%? This value is missing in the table? How many popcon measers where down? How many units in the sample? I assume: 946 / 0.47 * 100.

I would like to extrapolate that value to the "real" population. Ranges from 10 Mio to 30 Mio are wide but would be enough. How many users do we have?

Kind
Christian