Re: Debian Linux/PPC on G4.

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

> Please, no more HTML mail to the list!

OK, i'm going to try.

> >      How stable is the Debian Linux/PPC port ?
> >
> >    I think the port is very stable (may be better than on i386 !).
> >    I have just small reproach for Debian/Potato on PPC :
> >        - not using the glibc 2.1.3 (which is on LinuxPPC),
>
> There is no glibc 2.1.3!  We're using the latest available, straight
> out of CVS.

Yes, but on LinuxPPC there are glibc 2.1.3 beta or alpha which fixe some bug
of 2.1.2 (for example need 2.1.3 for running JDK 1.2.2 and Xpmac for PPC).

> >        - not install last version of program (ex: Netscape 4.7),
>
> Coming in the next few days, I am told.

Very good.

> >        - not contain JDK1.X,
>
> True.  No one who cares enough about the non-free JDK has put in the
> effort yet.

Yes, but potato for i386 contain JDK 1.1.7 !

> >        - and finally not contain Xpmac (Xpmac is bas but is useful)
>
> Obsolete, not to mention bloody painful to compile.

Yes, does FBDev run fast enough than Xpmac ?????
Because which my configuration i have probleme with speed and
the FBDev does not  work with two screen.

> >      When is Potato actually going to be released ?
> >
> >    Yes, when ?
>
> Freeze is within two weeks; I'm told we're aiming for a release in a
> month or two.

Good, good, good, ...

> >      Do I need MacOS installed.  I will probably install it at first.  I
> >      may
> >      blow it away at a later stage if it is not needed.  How much
> >      partition
> >      space should I reserve for a reasonable (not too bloated) MacOS
> >      installation ?
> >
> >    Yes you need macOS to boot, but 250Mo could be enough.
> >    RQ : Linux does not have DVD player, you must use MacOS for that !
>
> Not on all machines, you don't.  I believe the G4's can boot without it
> (yaboot?) but I'm not quite sure.

LinuxPPC say G4 can boot with yabout !?

Jean-Philippe

Jean-Philippe FASSINO  Tel :  04 76 76 45 52
CNET : DTL/ASR         mailto:jeanphilippe.fassino@cnet.francetelecom.fr