Re: Re: Continuing Annoyances...

>     MD> The depth in X is independent from the one in console (at
>     MD> least if the fbdev can change modes, which seems to be the
>     MD> case with yours). Have you tried depth 8 in console? This is
>     MD> recommended, as the console has only 16 colors anyway.
>
> I tried this, and, yes, the cursor magically appears again!

Great.

> Am I right in thinking that you're saying I should set the depth
> using fbset to some lower resolution (namely 8) and then set the
> depth in XF86Config to 16 or 32?  Or am I missing something?

No, that's exactly the Right Thing (TM) to do IMHO.

>     MD> As your fbdev seems to support mode changes, you can use
>     MD> custom modes in your XF86Config. fbset -x gives you a mode
>     MD> definition which you can insert directly into that file.
>     Me>  Aha.  That's neat.  I'll try that and see if it helps.
>
>     MD> It would make X resolution independent from console
>     MD> resolution as well.
>
> [doubts about this working]
>
> Any modes I set up (using fbset to change the mode, and then fbset
> -x to generate the XF86Config entry) are rejected by the X server.  > [...]
>
> Here's my /etc/X11/XF86Config file.
> [...]
>
> Section "Monitor"
> [...]
>     HorizSync   30.0-65.0
> [...]
>     VertRefresh 50.0-90.0

Do these values match your monitor?

> [lots of modes...]
> Mode "1024x768"
>     # D: 78.746 MHz, H: 60.020 kHz, V: 75.025 Hz
>     DotClock 78.747
>     HTimings 1024 1056 1152 1312
>     VTimings 768 769 772 800
>     Flags    "+HSync" "+VSync"
> EndMode

Oops - I deleted to much of your text. IIRC this mode was obtained by 'fbset -x 1024x768-100', right? Here it says 75 Hz vertical refresh rate... 100 Hz would exceed the 90 specified as the monitor's maximum, thus letting this mode be rejected.

> Mode "1152x870"
>     # D: 100.000 MHz, H: 68.681 kHz, V: 75.062 Hz
>     DotClock 100.001
>     HTimings 1152 1200 1328 1456
>     VTimings 870 873 876 915
>     Flags    "+HSync" "+VSync"
> EndMode

Here th 68.681 kHz horizontal refresh rate exceed the 65 specified as your monitor's max.

As these modes work in console, you probably have to adjust the monitor settings.

> [...]
> Section "Screen"
> 	Driver          "FBDev"
> 	Device          "platinum"
> 	Monitor         "PDL Pivot 1700"
> 	SubSection	"Display"
> 		Modes	"default"
> 		Depth	16
> 	EndSubSection

And you'll have to add the modes here so they actually get used...

Michel