Re: Success installing Xpmac!

One thing though, I still get the error:

PEXExtensionInit: Couldn't open default PEX font file: Roman_M

It doesn't prevent the server from loading, fortunately.

I noticed that the other big endian Debian distributions (spark, m68k)
were reporting the same error during the fall of 99, so I assume it's
an endianness bug. Are people running other servers also getting this
error? I never saw it while running Xpmac under LinuxPPC (or
MkLinux).

> Renaud Dreyer wrote:
> >
> >    I finally managed to make the Rage128 accelerated Xpmac X server work
> > under Debian PowerPC on my PowerMac 7300 with a Rage Orion card. It
> > turns out that I'd forgotten to download the 75dpi fonts. The font
> > path is hardcoded in Xpmac and the Misc, Speedo, Type1, 75dpi and 100dpi
> > ALL need to be installed for the server to start. I thought I didn't need
> > the 75dpi because I have a 19" display but...
>
> You can specify any font path you want for a default by using the -fp
> flag... such as:
>
> /usr/X11R6/bin/Xpmac -fp "unix/:-1"  # Use an font server like xfs (port
> -1) or xfstt (port 7101)
> or
> /usr/X11R6/bin/Xpmac -fp /usr/X11R6/lib/fonts/Type1/

Thanks, that's what I was going to try next, but I'll still go
that route to get 100dpi and scalable fonts loaded in priority.

> Of course you'll want it to still point to the (default) fixed font,
> otherwise it won't work. You can tell Xpmac what font you want to call
> the default font by the -dc <fontname> flag. Another solution is just to
> use the default font path, then add others, after X has started (most
> likely using the ~/.Xclients file) by just doing a

Which default font is the one hardcoded in Xpmac, usually?

> xset +fp /path/to/more/fonts # Add fonts to font path
> xset fp rehash #load/reload font information, and make added fonts
> available to all applications to be started.
>
> >    So this is a solution for people who need an Xserver working right off
> > the install on their machine, without having to play with X86Config first.
>
> That is one benefit. It's most useful feature is it is accelerated for
> Mach64/Rage 128/Twin Turbo 128/C&T 6555 (for Powerbooks) running with no
> video driver checked aka video=ofonly (which is useful on Macs with
> weird video).

After living 2 and a half years with the unaccelerated controlfb of my
7300, I was very happy to recently get an Orion and acceleration!

> Xpmac --help lists several options that show how flexible Xpmac is,
> although some don't work yet (like dpms).

Thanks for the hint!