Re: yaboot etc

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> Lombard is a newworld mac. BootX works, yaboot too, but yaboot is more
> reliable. Either my precompiled kernel or Paul's rsync kernel should work
> fine on the Lombard with both BootX and yaboot (Paul recently merged the
> necessary kernel changes for yaboot support).

I've found it less reliable on my Lombard.  I have it installed on an
HFS partition, configured to load Ben's ibook revision 12 kernel (the
one he says I'll have to use when using yaboot).

When I boot that kernel with yaboot (0.5), the kernel boots, getty spawns,
and I get no cursor in text mode.  I'm using atyfb for my video driver.
Also, when I boot a kernel with yaboot, putting my laptop to sleep
(I'm using pmud) does so permanantly--it won't wake up.

I have none of these problems using BootX.

Also, I can't get yaboot to load a kernel from a non-HFS partition.
I thought this was why it was supposed to be cool.  It complains about
a bad partition type (something like MAC-PARTS), and I'm sure I have the
partition number correct (hd:7,/vmlinuz).  It loads kernels from HFS partitions
correctly.  I built yaboot with DEBUG on, and it gives me lots more
information, but none of it helped me much, and I can't really cut and
paste from its PROM text interface into this rxvt.  :)

--
Shaw Terwilliger (sterwill@io.nu)