Re: glib, gtk and package depending on them ...

On Fri, Feb 19, 1999 at 05:41:06PM +0100, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Feb 1999, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> >hello, ...
> >
> > Like said before, i am recompiling most glib/gtk packages that are around, and
> > each version of them is a package all in itself.
> >
> > What should we do for packages that depend on gtk+/glib ? should we recompile
> > them everytime there is a new gtk+/glib version choose one gtk+/glib version,
> > compile everything for it, and then later after a few releases, when we have
> > time again, we choose another gtk+/glib version and recompile everything
> > against it ?
>
> I have set up a simple environment which allows to use both 1.0.x and 1.1.x
> GTK+/glib stuff. I use *-1.1 and *-1.0 suffices for all files/directories and
> then a small script sets up symlinks to either of them.
>
> Unfortunately, a) dpkg now thinks the stuff is broken and b) this gets all
> messed up when I install new GTK/glib packages.
>
> What do you think about my approach?

you can install every version of the libs, the problem is only for
the -dev stuff. My real problem is that every version from 1.1.7
to 1.1.16 comes in a different package, and that i have to remove
them by hand every time there is a new one that i compile, very
stupid stuff. I don't want 10 versions of glib/gtk installed ...

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER