Re: netstd, fingerd and the r* gang

On Mon, 6 Dec 1999, Nathan Olsen wrote:

> >I'm having some trouble not installing fingerd, rwhod and the rest of
> >the r* gang.  Trouble is that netstd 3.07-10 depends on them and
> >netbase 3.16-2 in turn recommends netstd.  dselect won't let me get
> >rid of netstd without dumping netbase, too (which, of course, I can't
> >do).
> >Is this a bug?  A feature?  How do I get rid of rwhod and fingerd and
> >keep dpkg happy at the same time?
>
> Netstd, is a legacy package as I understand it, and you should just simply
> remove it in dselect. Here's a short howto:
>
> [instuctions deleted]

This should be unnecessary.
Anyone who wants the r* programs is likely to be
a more sophisticated user than those who should
not have these protocols installed.  This requires
extra action to provide the more secure option.

Generally the more secure option is desirable
for less knowlegable users, who do not know how to
secure their system themselves.

I would say this qualifies as a minor design bug.

Recommended fix: reduce the dependency of netbase on netstd
to a "suggests".

--
Daniel Taylor      Senior Test Engineer     Digi International
danielt@digi.com                             Open systems win.