rpciod waiting on sync task

I'm getting a nasty outbreak of the following message:

RPC: rpciod waiting on sync task

My searches on deja news tell me this used to happen with old kernels,
but doesn't happen anymore.  Unfortunately, it keeps happening to me.
The message appears to have no further consequences, but could generate
an unfeasible number of support requests from end users.

My powerpc machine is running 2.2.13 with NFS root directory, and is
mounting filesystems from x86 architecture Suse 6.0 and Debian 2.1
machines. My network device is experimental and high performance, but I
do believe it is carrying ethernet frames uncorrupted.

Anybody else seen this thing recently? Would mounting more of my
filesystems with nolock help?

- Adrian Cox, AG Electronics