Base install on PB2400/180

This message was sent from Geocrawler.com by "Takayuki Hatada" <takayuki@a-vip.com>
Be sure to reply to that address.

Hello guys,

Yesterday I could (at last!) install Debian base
system on my PowerBook2400/180 helped by various
information from this mailing list.

What I did to get base system installed is as
follow:

1. Installed BootX 1.1.3 in my MacOS.

2. Put linux kernel image from disks-
powerpc/current/powermac in "Linux Kernel" folder
in my system folder.

3. Renamed root1440.bin as "ramdisk.image.gz" and
put it in system folder.

4. Copied all necessary files under disks-powerpc
onto external scsi HFS volume.

5. Boot into linux using BootX with ramdisk check.

6. Just followed installer with hard disk
installation option except "Install Operating
System Kernel and Modules" stage.

When I tried to install Operationg System Kernel
and Modules (of course, used new resc1440.bin
image from Porter), I got "No such device:
/dev/loop" message.
It doesn't matter at all 'cause I prefer BootX
method rather than quik.

But just for mental health, I made rescue floppy
under debian using dd and executed installation
script. That's all.

I'm very happy to be able to get into Debian
world on my PowerBook for the first time.
So far I have had an experience to use only
LinuxPPC on my mac.

But for intel machine, I have installed Debian
and some RedHat distributions.
Among them, I liked Debian the best.

Now I'm ftp'ing Debian binary tree night by night
through PPP. Maybe it will take about a week. But
it's very happy time for me.

Takayuki Hatada
Mito, Japan

Geocrawler.com - The Knowledge Archive