Re: RS6K PReP boot?

On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, Matt Porter wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 21, 1999 at 09:44:51PM +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > On Sun, 21 Nov 1999, Gerald Turner wrote:
> > > You mean add some prom_print() calls to prom_init() right?  I need to
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > > learn how to cross-compile a kernel from x86 - is this possible? is
> > > support already in Debian?
> >
> > Of course it's possible. I never did this myself (I did create a cross-compiler
> > for m68k under Linux/ia32 and Linux/PPC), since I took the (old) cross-compiler
> > binaries for Linux/ia32 from Jes Sørensen. But I guess newer kernels need a
> > much more recent compiler.
> >
> > I don't know whether Debian has a ia32-PPC cross-compiler. Of course you can
> > always build one yourselves :-)
>
> Sure there is, I just haven't uploaded the packages to repository since they
> need to be integrated with the current binutils/gcc source packages.
>
> See http://members.home.com/mmporter/linux/
> The deb packages are a little dated now since I haven't been using them
> lately.

Great resource, thanks!  I was feeling a bit weary about building a cross
compiler, but now I've got binutils built and gcc building.  It's never
been clear to me what the state of GCC/EGCS has been but the the link to
the egcs source (at cygnus) was broken so I went ahead and used gcc 2.95.2
and binutils 2.9.5.0.19 source from potato.  Are these version going to
fail?

The link to the vger kernel CVS repository is broken as well, says it's
moved to openprojects.org, but I havn't found it.  Where am I supposed to
get the kernel source?  ftp.ppc.kernel.org/pub/linuxppc/kernel-source has
2.2.12 tarballs only, but Hartmut says 2.2 is broken (for CHRP).  Since
there has been powerpc arch activity in the main 2.2 kernel, is it safe to
assume the main 2.2.13 would be okay?  Or how about the AC pre 2.2.14
kernels (which also have had PPC patches)?

Gerald Turner
http://www.mojavedesign.net/~gturner/