Re: yaboot errors on g4

On Sat, Apr 8, 2000, Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net> wrote:

>interesting, when i was testing various methods for making bootable
>CDs for newworld systems i found that a fully partitioned CD (as
>linuxppc 2000's is) simply would not mount under linux, no
>incantations of -part or anything would make it work.  I also read a
>rather long thread on the linuxppc-user archives of users complaining
>that they could find no way to mount the linuxppc2000 cd under linux,
>HFS or ISO format.

Well, the CD Jeff sent me, which is I think the same CD that was
released, boots perfectly on all oldworld and newworld machines and I
never had any problem mounting it under Linux. Note that my fstab uses
the "auto" filesystem type for auto-detection.

For the error encountered by the user on the G4, I see two different things:

 - First, the partition map is somewhat corrupted. I don't think this
actually matters however but it should be fixed

 - Second, yaboot 0.5 has problems finding files (either yaboot.conf or
the kernel itself) when it lacks the partition number. You should try
specifying a partition number on OF prompt, this will help yaboot
locating it's config file. Do the same for the path in the config file.
The "devel" version of yaboot on bitkeeper has this bug fixed (it will
search all partition until it finds the file). I'll post a new binary
later next week, after fixing on or two other problems.