Re: Annoying problem with the floppy

On Thu, Apr 20, 2000, Sergio Brandano <sb@dcs.qmw.ac.uk> wrote:

> The floppy drive is a VST HiFD 120Mb, usually manages as an HD.
> Is /dev/fd0 able to drive this thing? If not, I have to use /dev/hdc
> with the mentioned problem.

Ah, this is different. Why didn't you say this at first ?

This is more probably an IDE device and also probably needs a special
driver. I'm not sure how IDE floppies are handled by the kernel in fact.
It's possible that the kernel thinks it's a CD-ROM while it's not because
of a bug in some MacOS ROMs that can't boot if a media bay IDE device is
not a CD-ROM.

We have a workaround for the ZIP, but your specific driver may need a
specific and different workaround.