Re: Why yaboot is NOT for oldworld macs, Oldworld owners please read! (was Re: StarMax and yaboot...)

Ethan Benson wrote:

> 2) why you don't WANT to use yaboot on oldworld hardware:
>         [snip]  first let us go over the main complaints about quik:
>
> [snip]
> b) oldworld macs (with very few exceptions) lack the ability to
> interface with OF from the console, instead you must use a serial
> terminal:

This is wrong.  You just need to set the input device to the keyboard and
output device to the screen- in fact, this works on my StarMax 3000.  This
can be done using the "Boot Variables" MacOS utility (which I got with
LinuxPPC R4 :-); is there a tool shipping with Debian that can set anything
besides the boot device?

This ability to use screen/kbd is nice for dual boot since you can choose the
OS from an OF prompt with out waiting for MacOS to boot for BootX.

Also, if the installer knows the root partition, why can't it figure out the
boot-device parameter and set it automatically, as part of the "Make Linux
bootable" step?  I know, "well then, write the patch," okay, someday.  Just a
wishlist/suggestion, from someone who hasn't actually tried the boot
floppies, just heard that this step is necessary. :-)

Zeen,

-Adam P.