Re: problem with mounting cdrom

Cyril Niklaus wrote:

> hi all,
> I just installed debian, with no problems. I realize though now that I
> do not have the possibility to mount cdroms. I get the following error
> message:
> lempo:/home/cyril# mount /dev/cdrom
> mount: special device /dev/cdrom does not exist
> /dev/cdrom is in fstab, but indeed not in /dev/.
> How can I create the entry in /dev ?

/dev/cdrom is just a symlink to whatever /dev your cdrom actually is.  Try
"dmesg | grep -i cdrom" and see what it says (for instance, on my powerbook it
says: "hde: MATASHIDVD-ROM..."etc).

You can then make the cdrom link yourself by doing "ln -s /dev/hdX
/dev/cdrom" where hdX is whatever your cdrom is.

HTH
--Nelson Abramson