iMac-D sound problems

I've been having problems with newer kernels and sound on my rev. D iMac.

On a pre-built 2.2.14pre9 everything works fine, but with all newer kernels
(rsyncing and plain) all the dmasound driver tells me is
'DMA Sound Driver: Interrupt initialization failed'

The latest kernels I tried were 2.2.17pre9 + USB backport and the
linux-pmac-stable rsync-tree's 2.2.17pre3

I tried both building the driver into the kernel and ibuilding it as a module,
but I can't seem to get rid of the error.

What am I doing wrong?
--
Write a wise saying and your name will live forever
  - Anonymous