Re: problems starting X

I saw a couple things in your "Screen" section that should be changed.  For the sake of argument, I will assume that you have at least 2MB of video RAM.  That being said, here are my suggestions:

1. The "Virtual" line seems to be manadatory on a Mac.  Without it, I experienced the flashing screens you mentioned.  Uncomment yours, and try "Virtual 1024 768" (no quotes) to start out with.

2. Change the argument for "Modes" from "default" to the following:
     Modes "1024x768" "800x600"  # these should be acceptable
                                                 #   even on a 15" monitor

3.  I would probably remove the subsections for Depths 1, 4, and 24 also.

4.  The only other difference I noticed was that I have an explicit "ViewPort" line after the "Modes" line.  It's "ViewPort 0 0"

.Donnell