Make X function properly

Greetings,

I have successfully installed Debian 2.2 R2 on my G4

However when X boots up, the resolution is very bad (only 640x480) and
the mouse doesn't work. (however, it works with gpm)

I have an ATI Rage 128 w /16 mb ram so it's should be supported.

I have tried making modifications directly to the xf86config file (since
I couldn't find any configuration tool) but no luck.

Does anyone know how I can configure X to work properly on my G4?

(I am not a newbie to X at all on i386 machines)

Thanks

--Yan