Re: new installation

Bruno Waes wrote:

> so, to use BootX i still need macos, now this system comes with only one hd,
> and it has macos on it ...
> does there exist something like fips, to shrink the macos partition ? so i
> can make space for linux, or do i have to add a new hd ? and can i just add
> a pc ide hd ?

Yes, you can, this is what I did.  But then because OF can't see slave drives,
you need to either swap the CD out for the new HD, or play some games to boot
off the slave.  Most annoying!

To boot from /dev/hdb6, I either boot from BootX, which has the kernel in the
MacOS partition, and just give it /dev/hdb6 as the root partition; or have quik
boot from a kernel on an external zip disk with root specified in quik.conf; or
boot from a .coff file on a floppy, with the root partition specified in OF.

But if you don't want to get a new hard drive, you have one option: quik.  Seems
a shame to have to get a new drive just for a firewall.

I wish I knew more about the boot floppies, so I could help you to get
everything working without MacOS. :-(

Bruno Waes wrote:

> ok, i found a hfs boot floppy on the installation cdrom ..
>
> when i boot with that i get first a small computer icon with tux in front,
> then when it has done reading the disk, it changes to a framebuffer screen
> but that seems to have a sync that is too high or so, ... i can see the
> black screen and the tux icon on a messed up screen for a bit then it
> changes to black screen and ejects the disk, ... then nothing more happens
> ... what do i have to do next and is there a way to chnge the resolution or
> so of the boot disks framebuffer or so ?

Hmm...  here's something which may work.  Is there a .coff kernel image on the
CD, e.g. vmlinux-2.2.18pre21.coff?  If so, try copying that onto an
HFS-formatted blank floppy.  Then when you boot, hold down something like
command-option-O-F to boot into OF.

Oh wait, before you reboot, look for the Boot Variables MacOS utility, so you
can disable auto-boot and set the input device to the keyboard and output to
screen (see my last post on the values of these vars for 4400/clones).  Then
when you reboot, you should not need command-option-O-F to get you into OF.

So, assuming you can get to OF, type:

boot fd:vmlinux-2.2.18pre21.coff video=atyfb:vmode:12

I forget what 12 corresponds to, but lower number generally gives lower
resolution.  (Boot floppies people, what other options does he need the first
time?  Something about initrd=/dev/hdc/filename?)

Zeen,

-Adam P.