re: Two questions

> Hi,
>     The first question I have is what do I need to read (Like HOWTOs and
> stuff.) to setup my Linux PC, to download Debian PPC and upload it into my
> iMac?  I don¹t have a floppy drive, and I heard it was possible.  I have
> dial up and can't afford Linux on CD right now.

Start with

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/powerpc/install

>> I highly recommend installing from CD as both the easiest and fastest
>> method for you. Downloading the entire installation over dialup will be
>> quite tedious whichever way you do it. <http://cheapbytes.com/> has
>> Debian/powerpc 2.2r3 CDs for US$10.

The advice about cheap CDs and tedious dial up downloading is good. You'll
need to download almost 30M of stuff just to get started -- that's just for
the base system that doesn't really do much at the user level.

If you're feeling masochistic, I'm attaching the instructions for
floppy-less booting, 'cuz they haven't filtered into the website docs yet.

--

Chris Tillman
tillman@azstarnet.com

Linux can not access files on an HFS filesystem (System 8.0 and above
may use HFS filesystems). To determine whether your existing
filesystem is HFS, select Get Info for the volume in
question. HFS filesystems appear as `Mac OS Standard', while HFS
filesystems say `Mac OS Extended'.  You must have an HFS partition in
order to exchange files between MacOS and Linux, in particular the
installation files you download.

    Installing from OF

	NewWorld Macs

For NewWorld Macs, there is a method for booting the installation system which
doesn't involve making floppy disks from which to boot. This method is
particularly appropriate for machines with no floppy drive such as the iMac, and
when a &debian; CD is not available.

Retrieve the installation files. It may be most convenient to obtain all the
necessary files packaged into one Stuffit archive from  (separate
instructions are included in the archive). Otherwise, obtain the normal
installation files from , or your favorite . Retrieve the files to an
HFS (not HFS) partition on your system. Be sure to observe two precautions; (a)
Download the files in binary mode, not text mode, and (b) keep the directory
structure intact at the current directory level and below.  The
yaboot and yaboot.conf files needed in the next step
are not found within the  directory. Instead you
may download them from .

Copy the following four files onto the root level of your hard drive (this can be
accomplished by option-dragging each file to the hard drive icon). Make a note of
the partition number of the MacOS partition where you place these files. If you
have the MacOS pdisk program, you can use the L command to check for
the partition number. You will need this partition number for the command you
type at the Open Firmware prompt in the next step.

linux    <-- Kernel binary from the powermac folder
yaboot   <-- Standard bootloader for NewWorld Macs
yaboot.conf   <-- Configuration file instructing the bootloader
root.bin   <-- RAM disk image containing the Debian installation system

The yaboot.conf file must contain the following four lines:

image=linux
label=install
initrd=root.bin
initrd-size=8192

Restart the computer, and immediately (during the chime) hold down the Option,
Command (cloverleaf/Apple), o, and f keys all together. After a few seconds you will
be presented with the Open Firmware prompt.

O >

At the prompt, type

boot hd:x,yaboot

replacing x with the partition number of the temporary boot partition where the
kernel and yaboot files were placed, followed by a return. In a few more seconds you
will see a yaboot prompt

boot:

At the yaboot prompt, type

install

followed by a return.

The Debian installation program should start subsequently.