Re: iBook install: failing to see hard drive

On Mon, 2002-10-21 at 03:29, gremio@ai.mit.edu wrote:

> > Potato?  Are you sure?  The below sounds like woody (which is what you
> > should be using).
> No, I'm not sure.  I installed from iso's obtained from one of the mirrors
> at http://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/

Unfortunately, a great many of those mirrors are outdated.  I think some
of them just gave up when they noticed they'd have to mirror 7 CDs * 11
architectures :)

So please make sure the image you downloaded is a 'woody' CD.  One
simple way to do this would be to open up the CD in MacOS, and look at
the /debian/dists/ directory.

> nothing custom.  Everything was for stable.  How do I check if devfs is
> enabled and/or disable it?  should I go to google for this question instead
> of asking?  :-)

If you haven't modified the kernel, don't worry about it, that can't be
the problem.

DevFS is just another configuration option when you're building a linux
image.  And yeah, I think there is probably a great deal of information
on the web about configuring and building linux, should you need to do
that (although I don't think you do).

> I'm not sure how to make use of this.  Again, apologies, I am a newbie.  It
> looks like I should either make floppies (not an option) from that
> directory, or else burn all of it onto a cd and somehow make that bootable,
> but I've very little experience to go with here.

Ah, no...you can actually either boot the machine into the Debian
installer from MacOS, or boot it over the network. The former is
documented on Branden's ibook page, and the latter is documented partly
in the Debian installation manual, and partly here:
http://penguinppc.org/projects/yaboot/doc/netboot.shtml

Of the two, if you still have MacOS, booting the Debian installer from
inside it is much easier.

Good luck!