Re: Permedia3 console & 2.4.x kernel

On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 11:39:01PM -0400, Michael Hackett wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 08:52:14 +0100
> Sven Luther <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr> wrote:
>
> > Just a quick question. You did rebuild and reconfigure the kernel
> > yourself, right, and you did enable the pm3 framebuffer. I think it is
> > not enabled by default, and that is why you don't see a thing.
>
> No, I didn't build my own -- this is a Debian kernel image. I know

So that is the reason it does not work, i don't believe that pm3fb is
built into your kernel.

> you'll all gasp in horror. I =have= built my own kernel a couple of
> times, but not yet on this system, and something about the idea just
> rubs me the wrong way. I'm amazed at how well the kernel build tools
> work, but I still don't think it should be necessary. (More heresy!)

Quick guide to building your own package :

install kernel-package.

install the kernel sources (mmm, maybe the debian kernel package will
do, but maybe it is better to get the latest benh kernel or whatever).

cd to the directory you unpacked the sources to.

cp /boot/config-2.4.18 to .config in this directory.

run make oldconfig

  => this should ask you about permedia3fb support, build it in the
  kernel, not as module (altough it should work as module, i don't think
  this is an ok thing to do on ppc).

If not, you can do make menuconfig or a make xconfig to further
configure your kernel to your liking, but it is not necessary.

do a : make-kpkg --revision 1 kernel-image

And if all goes well, you get a nice kernel-image-2.4.X_2.4.X-1.deb that
you can install on your system, reboot and enjoy.

> > Like said, i believe pm3fb is not built in in your kernel.
>
> I think you're right. From one of the responses, I learned about the
> /boot/config-2.4.19-powerpc file, and although no one mentioned it
> specifically, I guessed that the line CONFIG_FB_PM3=m tells me that the
> pm3fb driver is compiled as a module. Yes? To confirm this, I tried
> "modprobe pm3fb", and sure enough, I got a working console.

Ok, ...

> So I added the module to /etc/modules (is the right way to do it?) and

Yes, ...

> it kicked in during boot, although fairly late in the process. Will I

This is normal as the modules are loaded quite late, which makes sense
since you need at least to have initialized the HD for them to load.

> need to compile it into the kernel to a console display from the
> beginning?

Yes.

Friendly,

Sven Luther