Re: Playing DVDs on Debian

On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 00:31, Adam wrote:
> I have been trying for the past couple of years trying to play DVDs on
> my Linux box and every time I run into some road blocks.  i have
> studied what other people have asked in the archives with a search of
> DVD in the subject and body and also in the users.debian lists also.
> I have read and tried the many suggestions and can not figure why I
> am having some issues.
>
> These are my recent steps I  have taken lately.

<--SNIP-->

> 2.  When I run gxine I get this output on the terminal

<--SNIP-->

> libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 1-rc4a from http://xine.sf.net
> libdvdread: Encrypted DVD support unavailable.

<--SNIP-->

Do you have libdvdcss2 installed?  Then you can read the CSS encrypted
DVD and then it should probably work.

You can download it:

http://honk.physik.uni-konstanz.de/~agx/linux-ppc/debian/mplayer/libdvdcss2_1.2.8-0.0_powerpc.deb

and install it as sudo/root with:

dpkg -i libdvdcss2_1.2.8-0.0_powerpc.deb

Or you can download the source from the marillat unofficial repository
and build it yourself:

http://hpisi.nerim.net/

Specifically you can add the source line into your /etc/apt/sources.list
(don't forget the main repository too)

deb-src ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ unstable main

deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib

deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free

Then move to a nice clean directory somewhere and do as sudo/root:

apt-get build-dep libdvdcss2

apt-get -b source libdvdcss2

This gets the dev packages needed for compiling installed and anything
else for building debs needed and then builds the package for you.

Assuming no errors there should be a nice .deb file there for powerpc/or
whatever architecture you compiled on to install with dpkg -i
libdvdcss2_*.deb

--mike