Re: d-i fails on new PowerMac G5

Title: Re: d-i fails on new PowerMac G5

On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 17:46 -0800, Shyamal Prasad wrote:
>     "Pedro" == Pedro Sanchez <psanchez@nortel.com> writes:
>
>     Pedro> During the installation I'm experiencing the symptoms
>     Pedro> described in Bug #287030
>     Pedro> (http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2004/12/msg01085.html). I'm
>     Pedro> using a d-i image from Jan 15/2005.
>
> Did you choose install-power4 at the boot prompt? You can't hit the
> return key and use the default kernel.

Yes, I did use install-power4.

> I wrote that bug, and it has been fixed in d-i since the first week of
> January. You seem to have exactlythe same machine I have (except you
> have not upgraded firmware to f7 yet) so I'm hoping you just picked
> the wrong kernel ;-)

I've been unable to update to the firmware. The instructions tell me to
shutdown the machine, and power on again holding the power button until
I hear a long beep or I see the "progress bar" starting, neither of
which happen. After several seconds with my finger on the power button I
get the open firmware prompt :|

> Cheers!
> Shyamal

I will try again with a newer copy of the installer. I just thought that
the one from Jan 15 was recent enough.

--
Pedro