Re: Replacing iBook Hard Drive

On Jun 11, 2005, at 6:42 PM, Marc Menem wrote:

Hi,

I'm writting to this list since I can't find any useful answer
anywhere else. If you anyone has ever replaced a Mac hard drive, I
would use some advice.

I own a G3 iBook (dual USB, 750 MHz) and the hard drive died a few
days ago. It started doing clicking sounds, then The computer wouldn't
boot. The first time I tried to boot, I got a smiling mac icon, the
second time just a white screen.

So I just bought a new drive and replaced the old one, but my computer
won't boot, just the white screen.

Correct me if I am wrong, but from what I understand about the system,
apple computers don't have a bios but open firmware which is installed
on the hard drive. So I guess that to get it fixed I would need one
way or another to install open firmware on my new drive. How am I
supposed to do this ?

thanks for any advice/pointers you could give me
Marc

Open Firmware is in the ROM, not on disk, but you need a driver on the disk to use it. If you can't boot from a BOOTABLE CD (such as an official Apple OS distribution disk like the one that came with your iBook, then either the power supply or the motherboard is probably zapped. Does the battery charge in the usual fashion?

To get it fixed, I suggest http://www.powerbookresq.com/, although if it is an old one it may not be worth it.

Dan Killoran