Re: modem on PowerBook5,6?

Le mercredi 03 août 2005 à 12:27 +0100, Jochen Voss a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I will move into a new house.  For the first two weeks or so
> I will have no broadband access.  Therefore the following question
> suddenly became interesting for me:
>
> Did anybody manage to use the internal modem on one of the new
> powerbooks?  It seems to show up neither in the lspci output nor
> in the lsusb output:

It's a Motorola i2s modem, completly unsupported under Linux:
	http://www.motorola.com/softmodem/index.htm

They have proprietary drivers for x86 Linux, but not for ppc. And I
already asked them, even offered to help porting the code, but all I got
in response was a polite answer thanking me for the interest in Motorola
products.

In other words, forget it. You'll have to either boot into OSX to
connect (that's what I do on the rare occasions I need connectivity
while being in a hotel room), or buy a Linux supported USB or PCMCIA
modem (and you'll have to find a real modem (== expensive), because
there seems to be no soft modem supported under Linux/ppc, even with
proprietary drivers).

Stelian.
--
Stelian Pop <stelian@popies.net>