Re: Sarge install on Orldworld was successfull, but minor quirks

On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 12:01:32PM +0200, Christian Walther wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently decided to get rid of my OS X installation on my Umax
> Pulsar, so I installed Debians stable release using BootX and the
> current netboot-Image. Installation went fine, except for the fact
> that I couldn't configure RAID, but I'm planning to do this later on.

This is only due to the version of parted used in sarge d-i does not know how
to set a raid or lvm flag on the corresponding partitions, flags that are
fully ignored by any of the later tools anyway.

This is fixed in sid/etch parted, so chances are good that using the daily
buildswill fix this, there may be other issues though.

> Quiks installation wasn't that easy, I forgot that /boot has to be on
> the same partition as /, and that this partition has to be ext2.

I personally prefer a separate ext2 /boot, don't know why quik-installer
should not be made to work in this setup.

> The system is up and running now, but I have some minor problems I
> hope someone might have a solution to:
> - While booting the machine I see the Tux-Logo, but no boot message.
> Instead, there is a small area on the left side below the logo, where
> colored dots are moving upwards. Between the logo and this area, there
> is a really small, blinking cursor. Output starts when the system
> configures the console, on first boot this means when the charset is
> set, on every following boot the first output I see is the login
> message itself.

probably broken fbdev driver.

> - I installed fbset and selected a higher resolution for my current
> console. I noticed that when the selected resolution is higher than
> 800x600-75 switching to a console running in the default resolution
> and back doesn't work: My screen remains black, and it complains about
> the frequency. Typing the same fbset-command (or using history) again
> makes the console working again. Switching between consoles with the
> same resolution works thou. In my example, I used 1280x1024-75.

fbset may be changing the frequency for all VCs, not sure. normally you have
to specify the -a option for this one, or used to have to.

> The machine is an Umax Pulsar (S900) with G3/400 MHz Upgrade, ATI
> Radeon 7500 64MB and 592MB RAM. Kernel (Version 2.6.8) and
> netboot-initrd are both the current versions found in stable.

Should work fine, please upgrade to 2.6.12 kernels, as radeonfb there should
have more sensible mode stuff.

> I checked the archives but couldn't find any posting related to my
> problems, I found a few hints about problems with changing consoles on
> a previous version of D-I, but this doesn't seem to be related.
>
> Is there anyone here on this list who experienced the same phenomenas
> and can advice how to get rid of them?

Nope, but maybe my input could help ? Do you use offb ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther