Re: Help! Not able to mount FAT filesystems

Pablo Gil wrote:
Hi everyone!

I'm fed up with this. I've been trying for weeks with no results. I've got an external HD and a camera. Both are vfat devices. As long as I know (and I'm pretty sure cos i've checked) I've the right kernel options enabled, but I can not mount them.

When I try to use the camera dmesg says this:

usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
  Vendor: FUJIFILM  Model: USB-DRIVEUNIT     Rev: 1.00
  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: Mode Sense: 0b 00 00 08
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: Mode Sense: 0b 00 00 08
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
 sda: sda1
         ^^^^

Important.

Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi4, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
Attached scsi generic sg0 at scsi4, channel 0, id 0, lun 0,  type 0
usb-storage: device scan complete
FAT: bogus number of reserved sectors
VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev sda.
                                                 ^^^

sda != sda1

And when I try to mount the HD I get this:

usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
  Vendor: ST380021  Model: A                 Rev: 0811
  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
 sda: sda1 sda2
         ^^^^ ^^^^

Again.

Attached scsi disk sda at scsi5, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
Attached scsi generic sg0 at scsi5, channel 0, id 0, lun 0,  type 0
usb-storage: device scan complete
FAT: bogus number of FAT structure
VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev sda.
                                                 ^^^

You're still trying to mount the drive, rather than the partition.

You didn't show the commands you're using, but it looks like they're

mount -t vfat /dev/sda /mnt/point

when you should be mounting sda1 or sda2, as the situation warrants.

HTH

Jacob