Re: [OpenFirmware2.4] Can't boot on cdrom ('loader: unrecognized client program format')

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 11:10:27AM +0100, Hans Ekbrand wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 10:58:52AM +0100, Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
> >
> > Arnaud Vandyck wrote:

> > > [...]
> >
> > Strange!...
> > 0 > boot ide1/disk@0:0,\install\powerpc\vmlinuz-coff.initrd
> > unable to open: ide1/disk@0:0,\install\powerpc\vmlinuz-coff.initrd ok
> >
> > grrr!
> >
> > 0 > dev ide1/disk@0:0
> > can't find device ok
> >
> > aaaaaaaaaaaa! What did I do?! Did I messed up the OF? I reseted it
> > Alt-Command-P-R but no way! :'(
> >
> > I can have 8 machines like that, do I have to throw them away?..
> > YEAH!
>
> Try installing with floppies?
>
> http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/sid/images/daily/powerpc/floppy/boot.img
> http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/sid/images/daily/powerpc/floppy/root.img
>
> In case quik turns out not to work on those beige G3 (seems it does
> work on some but not on others), you could use miboot for booting into
> the installed system too.
>
> If miboot works OK, on that model (on my perfomas the cpu will run at
> 1/10th speed when booted by miboot), I could make you a miboot
> boot-floppy to boot into the installed system

Maybe we could make have miboot to be listed in mkvmlinuz's bootloader, and
have code in /etc/kernel/postinst.d to automatically create the miboot floppy
for you on installs.

Now that miboot is being freed, this would be a neat solution.

Any volunteer to recode the boot sector based on the information Piotr
provided ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther