Re: hi and first and hopefully last question

Hello Sven,
On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 09:46:50AM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 08:11:36AM +0100, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> > I remember that in a recent issue of a german Linux magazin a work
> > around for this was presented: Use the 2.4 kernel to do a (minimal)
> > install and then build your own kernel (> 2.6.8 in Sarge). There were
> > some minor tips around this as well which I forgot, but since you use
> > Debian for some time this should get you going.
>
> This advice is x86 specific, and using 2.4 kernels on powerpc these days is
> akin to pure madness :)

Sorry, the article was *explicitly* talking about recent PowerBooks
and it was an explicit work around for this (or a similar) problem. It
is in the current issue of "Linux User" (02/2006). The article is not
(yet) online, but (if you speak german) you can see the table of
contents in www.linuxuser.de

And yes, this is a *workaround* and clearly marked as such, and the
article in no way suggest running 2.4 anything but the shortest time
needed for install.

I don't have the magazine myself anymore.

> A more exact tip is :
>
>   1) use the sarge installer, and go upto the install phase.

I think the problem was, that at *this stage* the install was hanging,
but if this goes this far, then fine, of course!

> Another possibility is to try the debian/etch beta2 installer, which will have
> 2.6.15 kernel from the start. You will even be able to have the graphical
> installer then. The beta2 is not yet out (but almost there), and you can use
> daily builds of the installer until it is.

This is of course the best option as (remaining bugs) can be filed and
fixed most promptly.

Greetings

             Helge

--