many lost connection to X server

Dear all

I have installed a brand new 3.1 on my ibook g3.  My video card is

0000:00:10.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage
Mobility M3 AGP 2x (rev 02)

the kernel is the kernel-image-2.6.8-powerpc and X runs 16 bpp with DRI
enabled.

I am experiencing annoying lost connection to the X server by many
programs.  Mainly this happens to xmms, firefox, openoffice, but also
with xfig, gimp...

For example gimp exited returning this:
The application 'gimp' lost its connection to the display :0.0;
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the application.

Indeed gimp disappeared but the rest of the system kept on running.

Anyway, some time afterwards, also X was shut down ...

Reading dmesg I find as last lines:
agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at 0000:00:0b.0 into 1x mode
agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at 0000:00:10.0 into 1x mode

I was first thinking that there was some problem connected to X,
but now it looks more like a problem related to the kernel, does it?

Any suggestion?

Thanks

Edoardo

--